A decade ago Bernice L. McFadden burst on the literary scene with her award-winning debut Sugar, which touched the hearts of thousands.
Six critically acclaimed, award winning novels later, Bernice McFadden is back with GLORIOUS - her most thought provoking novel yet!
Glorious is an extraordinary story set against the backdrops of the Jim Crow South, the Harlem Renaissance, and the civil rights era.
The story opens on a hot, steamy July 4th in 1910 as “The Fight of the Century” comes to an end and Jack Johnson becomes the first ever African-American Heavy Weight Champion of the World. This event sets off a series of violent, racial eruptions around the country and in the small town of Waycross, Georgia, the life of a young Easter Venetta Bartlett is forever changed.
Glorious follows the life of Easter Venetta Bartlett, a fictional Harlem Renaissance writer whose tumultuous path to success, ruin, and revival offers a candid portrait of the American experience in all its beauty and cruelty.
It is a tale woven with historical events and figures of the time. Langston Hughes, Carl Van Vechten, A’Lelia Walker, Nancy Cunard, Marcus Garvey, Horace Liveright and many other historical characters make appearances through out the story.
Glorious will be released in USA & Canada on May 1st, 2010 and in the UK on June 3rd, 2010
3 Lucky Bloggers will receive a $50 American Express Gift Card + 3 Autographed Books from Authors published with Akashic Books.
• - The first seventy-five (75) Book Bloggers with fifty (50) or more followers to send an email to:
with your name/addresss/blog url - will receive a copy of GLORIOUS.
• - The Book Blogger must read Glorious and post his/her review on their blog no later 11PM on April 30th, 2010
• - In order to be considered for the prize Bloggers must leave the "Link" to their review in the comment section of this post.
• - You will receive an extra entry if you grab the "I Love Bernice L. McFadden" button and place it on your blog.
• - You will receive a *bonus* entry if you mention this contest on your blog
• – If you’d like to enter you must be a Book Blogger
• – You must be 18 years or older (Under 18, get your parents to enter.)
• – US/Canada/UK residents only.
• – Winners will be notified by email on May 1st, 2010.
Bernice L. McFadden's Home Blog
Praise for Glorious
"McFadden's lively and loving rendering of New York hews closely to the jazz-inflected city of myth . . . McFadden has a wonderful ear for dialogue, and her entertaining prose equally accommodates humor and pathos." --New York Times Book Review
"She brings Harlem to astounding life . . . Easter's hope for love to overthrow hate . . . cogently stands for America's potential, and McFadden's novel is a triumphant portrayal of the ongoing quest." --Publishers Weekly
"Bernice L. McFadden's novel Glorious, which starts with a bang-up prologue, has a strong main character (based in part on Zora Neale Hurston), hard-driving prose, and historic sweep of several decades, including the years of the Harlem Renaissance, which has always fascinated me." --Jane Ciabattari, National Book Critics Circle President
"The book is sweeping in scope and brings to life the tenuous existence of an African-American artist in the early twentieth century." --Vogue
"I hadn't read a word of hers before Glorious, but I will follow her from now on." --Alan Cheuse, NPR